Wednesday, July 15, 2015

First Reaction

Writing Down the Bones:
I knew I was going to like this book from the beginning. Natalie Goldberg's writing style and her "voice" in this book is great and easy to read. In addition, I enjoyed her comparison of a writing practice to running, and resisting the practice until you get into it. Even with the amount of journal writing I have done in my life, this is something I can relate to. 

In addition to that, the description of her writing that her neighbor gives is really beautiful. She speaks of rawness and how different it is to see Natalie after reading her journals. It's very interesting and it makes me think how lucky she (Natalie) is to have the confidence to let someone into her life in that way, and to get a reaction to that. I could not see myself doing the same. 

I enjoyed what she had to say about concentrating by allowing the world to exist around us and not by blocking it out. Sometimes I feel that I am trying to block it out in order to write, and I think it took me some growing up and realizing before I even noticed I was doing it! 

The Happiness Project:
This is a reading I can deeply relate to when it comes to "appreciating the ordinary day". This is a a practice I have had to come back to recently because like her, I have a lot to be happy about. However I lost my ability to see that for a while. It is such an interesting way to take on the feelings she describes. It's really awesome when you think about it; someone who is unhappy, researching happiness to take the issue head on. Rock on! 

The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work:
This - I have to say - was the reading I enjoyed the least. However I did enjoy the discussion of enjoying your work, and what it means for that to feel meaningful. I think he brings up some major truths in those topic through his discussion of biscuits! 

No comments:

Post a Comment