Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Third Response: Goldberg, Bullough, & De Botton

Writing Down the Bones: I can really relate to what she says about exposing your life in a way that is human - not "how your ego may want to be represented" (pg. 39-40). That has been really hard for me to get past. Sometimes to the point of ripping out imperfect pages from my journals. The way she described that was well written and spoke to my experience a lot. As for obsessions, I already write about mine quite a bit. Most of my journal writing has been me venting about what happens in my world, aka things I am obsessing over. However, I like the idea of making a list out of them, to give a new perspective. That is a tip I'd like to try. Lastly, I think her suggestion to order a meal and not eat it when writing in a restaurant is all wrong. The rest of the ideas yes, such as leaving a big tip and using the restaurant atmosphere to fuel writing. But I have to say I don't see many restaurants being happy that someone ordered food and didn't eat it. Wasteful. Blah. 
It was very interesting to read the poetry entries. They felt abstract but simple. 

Psychical Distance: Woah. I have a lot of frustrations towards how many times I had to read some sections to really digest what was being said here, and I still feel a bit lost. There were descriptions of the artists formulations of personal experience that I did enjoy though - but still - all very dense and abstract feeling to me. 

Painting: Wow, this is some really great writing, about a really beautiful process. I enjoyed reading about Taylor's draw to the tree after seeing it (following his girlfriends death), and feeling it needed some justice. In addition to the way he gets so lost in his work he forgets to eat and just keeps painting. I like reading about the process people go through when they are really passionate about something. It's truly a whole other type of "working". 


No comments:

Post a Comment