Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Fourth Response: Kahn & Kawulich

Putting Ethnographic Writing in Context: This article is a good read that brought to a lot of light to a type of writing I don't have too much experience with. It makes me think of all the times I traveled to new cultures and realize how I should have been keeping journals! However it can be really hard to do that when you're traveling, with all the mental and physical exhaustion that comes with being so stimulated in so many ways for a long period of time. Even a few notes at the end of the night would have helped me to remember the indigenous people I have met  and what I was thinking at the time. Definitely going to keep that in mind for all upcoming travel experiences. 

I am glad he added an example of his own experience. It is hard to predict how people may react to this kind of writing, even if they sign consent forms and all that jazz. It is really unfortunate that he lost someone in his life that he respected due to this project. This article gave a lot of helpful information (and history) about ethnographic writing; in addition to many of the possibilities within the process, both good and bad. 

Participant Observation as a Data Collection Method: Observation as a method of data collection is extremely important and valid for certain fields of research. Especially when researching animal or human behavior, and being a student of psychology, that has been very clear to me. This article (and the other) had me considering how often the ones being observed change their behavior - even juuuust a little - after they know they are being observed. It caused me to  consider how I may change if I were ever the one to be observed as well. I appreciate all the information here about the participation of the observer, and the possible lack of understanding to do that. In addition to the many possible effects the dynamic (or relationship between observer and participants) could have on the study. There are so many different things to be aware/careful of in this type of research. These articles definitely helped me understand ways which I had not even thought of before. 

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciated the example that Kahn gave as well. That said, I'm not 100% on the idea of allowing someone to review my work before I submit it as Kahn suggested he should have done in that instance. Either way, that instructor must have realized he was being a jerk after reading the paper. So I can't help wondering if he changed his ways.

    Either way, I agree with what you wrote, "There are so many different things to be aware/careful of in this type of research. These articles definitely helped me understand ways which I had not even thought of before".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too right about participant observation and groups being studied changing their behavior - I think people change their behavior considerably when they know they're being watched. What a cool experience it must have been, meeting indigenous people! I agree with you on your point about people being overstimulated, maybe that's why so many of us want to journal/meditate/exercise but we never take the time to? For me, personally, whenever I'm not in school, doing schoolwork, or working, I look forward to relaxing (which means watching movies and napping). I feel like my senses are so overstimulated during the day that all I want is my bed. But you make a good point in noting journaling is important because it helps you remember life more vividly, and who doesn't want that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with your first few statements on the mind over load. It does seem really hard at first but i think this week we are given a little more insight and at this point yes a few notes would help too. Even so this style of writing while doing a culture emersion seems out of my league. baby steps for me please, then maybe I'll work my way back up.

    ReplyDelete